This recipe makes 4-8x8 pans or 2 9x13 pans of baked ziti. Tweak amounts if necessary! :)
4 cups cottage cheese
8 cups mozarella cheese
1 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
64 oz. spaghetti sauce of your choosing
2 lbs. meat--ground beef, italian sausage or a mixture of these--this is optional!
32 oz. pasta--rotini or penne shape work well
Before day of cooking....
1. Cook pasta according to instructions. Be sure to cook just until "al dente" and not overcook since you are freezing this. Drain and package in ziplocs or whatever container you would like to take to your cooking day.
2. Brown any ground beef or sausage and package to take along for cooking.
Day of cooking...
1. Mix cottage cheese, eggs, and mozarella cheese in a large mixing bowl. Stir pasta into this mixture.
2. In separate large bowl mix spaghetti sauce with meat.
3. Place a layer of sauce on the bottom of each pan (4-8x8s or 2-9x13s--aluminum foil or something like Glad Ovenware (this is my preference...they go straight from freezer to oven and clean SO easily!).
4. Cover sauce layer with 1/4 (or 1/2 if using 9x13) of cheese and pasta mixture.
5. Cover with remaining sauce.
6. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
7. Cover with lid. If using aluminum pans I recommend placing the entire pan into a ziploc freezer bag to prevent leaks! Label...freeze....ENJOY!
1. Thaw completely.
2. Cover with foil (if you are using an Ovenbake remove the plastic lid first!) and bake at 350 for 20 minutes...then remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.